Jury Finds Carrollton Man ‘Guilty’

| January 8, 2013
Print Friendly

A Carrollton man has been convicted in a 2011 sexual assault case.  Charles Politte, 25, was found guilty of forcible rape, assault, and armed criminal action during a two-day jury trial that ended on Tuesday.  The other charge of forcible sodomy appears to have been dropped, however, there are no online court records available at this time.

The court notification system on Friday said that the trial against Politte had been cancelled.  Online records as of Monday evening also indicated no change in the original case or that the trial was scheduled to proceed, but according to a press release issued by Carroll County Prosecuting Attorney Cassandra Brown, Politte was tried in Ray County on a change of venue.  This was Politte’s second time to face a jury in the case after a panel of four women and eight men could not come to a consensus and a judge declared a mistrial in May of 2012.  Brown told jurors in the first trial that Politte forced a 17-year-old female into a wooded area on the east side of town in the early morning hours of June 10, 2011 and had sex with her.  Politte is scheduled to be sentenced on Mar. 6 at 2:30 p.m.

Meanwhile, an email message sent early Tuesday morning indicated that the trial in the second sexual assault case against Politte was also cancelled.  He was charged with forcible rape one month after the first incident was said to have occurred.  The charge stemmed from an alleged assault in Tina in Dec. 2010.  A hearing in that case has been scheduled for Jan. 15.

Press Release from the Office of Prosecuting Attorney Cassandra Brown

Charles Logan Politte, Carrollton, was found guilty of one charge of Forcible Rape, one charge of Assault in the Second Degree, and one charge of Armed Criminal Action, in a change-of-venue case stemming from an incident that occurred on June 10, 2011.  Carroll County Prosecutor, Cassandra N. Brown, presented evidence over the course of two days in a Ray County courtroom.  After deliberating for approximately one and a half hours, the jury returned with a guilty verdict on all three counts.  The case has been continued to March 6th, 2013 at 2:30 p.m. for sentencing.

Tags: ,

Category: Headlines, Local News, News