Update (12:15 p.m.) – The Ray County Circuit Clerk’s office said the email KMZU News received Friday morning is mostly likely due to a “flaw” in the system. We were told by one of the clerks that Estenbaum and Ellis’ case files did not indicate the trials had been cancelled. We are working to get more information and will provided an update as soon as it becomes available.
|The trials for two former Hardin-Central students have been cancelled, according to an email sent Friday morning. No new court dates have been set for Randy Estenbaum, 18, and Jeffrey Ellis, 17.
The teens have pleaded not guilty to charges related to acts that they, and several other juveniles, allegedly carried out in a high school locker room last fall. The two other students listed in the probable cause statement have not yet been charged.
Estenbaum was slated to go on trial on June 3, 2013. Ellis was going to face a jury on July 15, 2013. The trial dates were set by Clay County Judge Larry Harman during separate hearings on Sept. 27.
There is no word yet on why the two trials were cancelled.