Missouri lawmakers returned to Jefferson City Wednesday to begin the First Regular Session of the 97th General Assembly. Click to hear KMZU’s Chelsea Wade talk with Senator David Pearce, R-Warrensburg:
Press release from the Senate Communications Office
JEFFERSON CITY— Senate Leader Tom Dempsey, R-St. Charles, announced today 18 Senate committees that will be tasked with holding public hearings and drafting legislation on issues important to Missourians. The committees will be in place for the First Regular Session of the 97th General Assembly that runs through 2013. As Senate Leader, Dempsey names all committees, appoints chairmen and members of the majority caucus to those committees.
Dempsey says the challenge will be to work together on several priority issues such as lowering the tax burden on Missouri families.
“I’m very satisfied by the work accomplished last year, and I have full confidence we will be able to put our disagreements aside and once again have a successful legislative session,” said Dempsey.
Senate Committees and Chairmen are (in alphabetical order):
- Administration: Sen. Tom Dempsey, R-St. Charles
- Agriculture, Food Production and Outdoor Resources: Sen. Brian Munzlinger, R-Williamstown
- Appropriations: Sen. Kurt Schaefer, R-Columbia
- Commerce, Consumer Protection, Energy and the Environment: Sen. Brad Lager, R-Savannah
- Education: Sen. David Pearce, R-Warrensburg
- Financial and Government Organizations and Elections: Sen. Jay Wasson, R-Nixa
- General Laws: Sen. Brian Nieves, R-Washington
- Governmental Accountability and Fiscal Oversight: Sen. Mike Parson, R-Bolivar
- Gubernatorial Appointments: Sen. Tom Dempsey, R-St. Charles
- Jobs, Economic Development and Local Government: Sen. Eric Schmitt, R-Glendale
- Judiciary and Civil and Criminal Jurisprudence: Sen. Bob Dixon, R-Springfield
- Progress and Development: Sen. Jolie Justus, D-Kansas City
- Rules, Joint Rules, Resolutions and Ethics: Sen. Ron Richard, R-Joplin
- Seniors, Families and Pensions: Sen. John Lamping, R-Ladue
- Small Business, Insurance and Industry: Sen. Scott T. Rupp, R-Wentzville
- Transportation and Infrastructure: Sen. Mike Kehoe, R-Jefferson City
- Veterans’ Affairs and Health: Sen. Dan Brown, R-Rolla
- Ways and Means: Sen. Will Kraus, R-Lee’s Summit
Committee member assignments were also announced today. For a full listing of assignments or to learn more about the role of each committee, visit www.senate.mo.gov.