Weather Conditions: Freezing rain, sleet and snow are falling across southwest Missouri. Wind gusts of up to 35 mph are occurring at times. The forecast calls for these weather conditions to continue through the day into the evening hours Thursday.
Travel Conditions: Most state routes in southwest Missouri, including I-44 and I-49, are partly covered to covered with ice and slush. With the freezing rain and high winds, drivers also may encounter downed trees, tree limbs and utility lines.
Road Clearing: MoDOT crews are treating roadways and plowing off slush and ice where they can. Crews will continue to try to keep roads as passable as possible. However, until the winter storm moves out of the area crews will not be able to clear roadways.
If needed, they will clear roads of tree debris as quickly as possible. However, they will not be able to remove downed power lines and will have to rely on local power companies to respond to these areas.
Icy Weather Driving Tips:
* Buckle up.
* Adjust your speed to conditions.
* Stay at least 100 feet behind a truck plowing/salting the road.
* Be alert for road conditions that may change as you drive.
* Do NOT drive over downed utility lines. Assume every downed line is a fully-charged electric line.
* Don’t tailgate.
* Focus on driving and avoid distractions.
* Keep your windshield and other windows clear to help you see.
* Allow for extra travel time if you must travel.
Road Condition Information:
* MoDOT Customer Service: 1-888-275-6636
* MoDOT Traveler Information map: http://maps.modot.mo.gov/timi/