Sports – Thursday, March 7th

| March 7, 2013 | 7:20 am
Print Friendly

The KMZU Basketball Dream Team broadcast is coming up Saturday at 6 p.m.  Coaches have until Friday to call in their nominations – (880) 214-2173.  Dozens of interviews will be air on 100.7 FM and will later be archived on kmzu.com.

Independence, MO  –  A jury has ruled in favor of the Kansas City Chiefs in an age discrimination lawsuit filed against the team.  Former team maintenance manager Steven Cox sued the team alleging that he was fired because of his age, while Chiefs officials said he was terminated after he gave a janitor a pay raise without permission.  Cox had sought 500-thousand dollars in damages in addition to back pay and benefits.  His attorney plans to appeal the ruling.

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) – Three months after getting fired from his job as general manager of the San Diego Chargers, A.J. Smith is joining the Washington Redskins organization as a senior executive. Smith’s son Kyle is entering his third year as an area scout for the Skins.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Six-time Pro Bowl kicker David Akers has been released by the San Francisco 49ers after two seasons. Akers set NFL records in 2011 with 44 field goals made and 52 attempted, while tying the league mark with a 63-yarde boot against Green Bay in the season opener. But Akers made just 29 of 44 attempts last season, his lowest percentage since 1999.

JUPITER, Fla. (AP) — Jake Westbrook limited Miami to a run and four hits over three innings yesterday in the St. Louis Cardinals’ 7-2 win over the Marlins. Matt Holliday, Oscar Taveras, Ronny Cedeno, Matt Adams and Rob Johnson all homered for the Cardinals. Marlins starter Tom Koehler allowed four runs in two-plus innings.

SURPRISE, Ariz. (AP) — Kansas City Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer will replace the injured Mark Teixeira on the United States team at the World Baseball Classic. The New York Yankees slugger strained his forearm on Tuesday. The U.S. opens group D play of the World Baseball Classic tomorrow night.

DORAL, Fla. (AP) — Rory McIlroy says the pressure of meeting expectations as golf’s No. 1 player got the best of him when he quit and walked off the course last week. He says he has learned his lesson and “it won’t happen again.” McIlroy met with the media for the first time since he quit after eight holes Friday at the Honda Classic and apologized for his “mistake.”

morning challenge