A small child had to be rescued from the second floor of a burning apartment complex Tuesday night in Chillicothe.

According to the report from the Chillicothe Fire Department the call went out for a structure fire at approximately 11:43 p.m. Crews arrived at 19 Webster a short time later and deployed a hook and ladder to take a child from parents who were trapped by the smoke. The child was taken to safely while fire fighters worked from the first floor to clear the stairwell. The parents were then escorted down.

An occupant of the apartment that was ablaze was found by the door unconscious and was transported along with another resident to Hedrick Medical Center for treatment.

Most damage was contained to a single unit and was extensive. All residents were displaced and had to find lodging for at least the night.

The Missouri State Fire Marshall is investigating the blaze.