CHILLICOTHE, Mo. — Officials with the Chillicothe Fire Department responded to the report of a blaze just before 3:00 a.m. at a residence on Slack Street Saturday.

According to a release from the department, the fire at a home in the 200 block of Slack Street in Chillicothe reportedly started when the homeowner fell asleep smoking a cigarette in bed.

She told fire officials that when she awoke, her blankets were on fire, and as she tried to put the flames out the blaze quickly spread across the room. The residence reportedly suffered severe smoke damage throughout and significant fire damage to a portion of the roof.

Two people were inside the home when the fire happened and were able to escape unharmed. Fire officials spent more than four hours fighting the flames in the residence, according to the release.

The Chillicothe Fire Department is investigating but foul play is not suspected at this time.