Jefferson City– The Missouri Department of Agriculture’s Feed & Seed Program issued a consumer alert following a voluntary pet food recall published by Midwestern Pet Foods. As of now there have been no reports of illness in pets or humans.
Due to Salmonella contamination, the voluntary recall applies to specific expiration dates and pet food brands, including CanineX, Earthborn Holistic, Venture, Unrefined, Sportmix Wholesomes, Pro Pac, Pro Pac Ultimates, Sportstrail, Sportmix and Meridian brands produced at its Monmouth, Ill., production facility.
If you identify a recalled product in your household or at your business, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration and Department’s Animal Health division recommends:
- Feeding: Do not feed recalled products to pets or any other animals.
- Disposal: Destroy the food in a way that children, pets and wildlife cannot access them.
- Cleaning: Wash and sanitize pet food bowls, cups and storage containers.
- Hand washing: Ensure you wash and sanitize hands after handling recalled food or any utensils that came into contact with recalled food.
- Veterinary care: Contact your veterinarian if your pet has consumed these products and shows symptoms.
Consumers can contact Midwestern Pet Foods Consumer Affairs from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 474-4163.
The Department is working through recall audits to ensure distributed product is removed from store shelves as quickly as possible. Additional recall details can be found at FDA.gov.