SEDALIA, Mo. — Discover nature with the Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) at the Missouri State Fair in Sedalia Aug. 9-19.
Visit MDC’s Conservation Building from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Aug 9-18 and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Aug 19 to see live fish and other native animals such as snakes, turtles, and amphibians. Learn about and see displays of native plants that help butterflies and other important pollinators. Ask MDC staff conservation-related questions, get educational materials, and have fun.
Don’t miss MDC’s air-conditioned Conservation Kids’ Discovery Room between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. for hands-on fun discovering nature through crafts and other activities.
Enjoy these free conservation-related programs at MDC’s outdoor pavilion:
- WATCH RAPTORS: See a live eagle and other birds of prey up close at the Raptors of Missouri presentation Aug. 9 and Aug. 18 at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m., and 4 p.m.
- LEARN TO CLEAN AND COOK FISH: Learn how to prepare a fresh catch at the Fish Cooking and Cleaning demonstration Aug. 10 and Aug. 11 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- MUSHROOM ID: Learn about Missouri mushrooms Aug. 16 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- HISTORIC SAWMILL: See a working model sawmill in operation at Forest Products: The Circular Sawmill Aug. 17 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
- DUTCH OVEN DEMO: Learn about Dutch oven cooking and watch a live demonstration on Aug. 19 at 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.
Don’t miss the special program, “Invasive Species: Stop the Invasion. Join the Fight,” Aug. 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. next door to our outdoor pavilion at the Missouri Department of Transportation Highway Gardens. It will include displays and activities on invasive plants and animals and how they harm native species and habitats, as well as Missouri’s agricultural, roadsides, and our backyards. Help stop the invasion by joining the fight and learning what you can do to help eliminate these unwanted invaders.
Learn more about MDC programs, events, and other offerings at mdc.mo.gov.