FSA Chariton County Executive Director Emily Shelby recommended contacting a local FSA office to make sure land is eligible for the emergency grazing of CRP.

KEYTESVILLE, Mo. — Emergency grazing of CRP throughout the primary nesting season has been authorized for 34 counties in Missouri due to dry conditions. Chariton County Executive Director Emily Shelby explained that emergency grazing dates will go from July 3 to July 15.

“We’re looking at, there’s about a one-week window right now that would get us through July 15, that a producer could potentially graze their CRP acreage during this nesting season, which does not normally occur,” Shelby said. “Eligible practices include CP1, CP2 and CP10.”

The following counties have been approved for CRP grazing during primary nesting season:  Adair, Andrew, Buchanan, Caldwell, Carroll, Chariton, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Daviess, DeKalb, Gentry, Grundy, Harrison, Holt, Jackson, Knox, Lafayette, Lewis, Linn, Livingston, Macon, Marion, Mercer, Nodaway, Platte, Putnam, Ray, Saline, Schuyler, Scotland, Shelby, Sullivan and Worth.

The USDA Farm Service Agency also stated in a press release:

  • CRP participants who do not own livestock may rent/lease the grazing privilege to eligible livestock producers. CRP participants must identify who the renter/lessor is.
  • Eligible livestock producers who rent/lease CRP acreage to graze must certify they are an eligible livestock producer and they will not sublease the CRP acreage to a third party.
  • Under the 2014 Farm Bill, there is no fee assessed for emergency grazing.
  • Eligible land must be physically located in an approved county.
  • Grazing cannot occur within 120 feet of a stream or other permanent water body.
  • If the county is subsequently approved beyond July 15, livestock must be removed by September 30, 2018
  • Grazing is limited to 75 percent of each field or the stocking rate must not exceed more than 75 percent of the normal grazing rate.  Minimum stubble heights must be maintained.
  • If the established CRP cover fails due to grazing, it must be re-established to the approved original mix at the expense of the CRP participant.

Approval must be granted in writing before emergency grazing can begin. Shelby said producers should check with their local FSA county office for more information.