A two percent drop in Lafayette County’s sales tax is not expected to impact financial decisions in the next fiscal year.  Click to hear KMZU’s Chelsea Wade talk with Presiding Commissioner Harold Hoflander:

Harold Hoflander

Letter from Presiding Commissioner Harold Hoflander

To the Citizens of Lafayette County:

I am honored to be able to serve Lafayette County as Presiding Commissioner, and in doing so, am mindful of the responsibilities that are involved, the important decisions to be made and actions to be taken. I am fortunate to have the support and excellent working relationship with two associate commissioners, Gil Rector and Tracy Dyer, and would like to thank them for their service and dedication to Lafayette County.

The County Commission-ers would like to thank County Auditor Cherie Mason and her staff for compiling this information and County Clerk Linda Niendick and her staff who work closely on a daily basis with the Commissioners.

In addition, we would like to offer our sincere appreciation to each of the officer holders who worked diligently with us to assess and compile the budget for 2012. Following last year’s trend, we face uncertain financial times, and the Commission greatly appreciates the cooperation of all department heads and staff in this difficult budget process.

The Lafayette County Commission is entrusted to accurately project the revenues and expenditures on an annual basis for the operational functions of Lafayette County.

OVERVIEW OF THE COUNTY BUDGET:

The Lafayette County General Revenue Fund began the fiscal year of 2012 with a cash carryover of $1,099,692.86. This carryover, along with anticipated General Revenue of $4,298,655.00 has allowed the County Commission to budget estimated expenditures of $4,926,047.00 for the fiscal year 2012, leaving a projected fund balance on Dec. 31, 2012, of $472,300.86.

Sales tax revenue for 2011 was $1,088,248.62. The Commission conservatively anticipates that the 2012 sales tax revenue is projected to be $1,064,100.00.

However, it is important for citizens of Lafayette County to understand that sales tax revenue makes up approximately 26 percent of our total revenue. The remaining 74 percent of our income is derived from real estate and personal property tax revenue through the Collector’s Office, and from fees collected through the Public Administrator, Sheriff, Collector, Prosecuting Attorney, Circuit Clerk, County Clerk, Recorder and Assessor’s offices, as well as other miscellaneous sources of income.

In 2012, the property tax was set at 0.1900 percent shown on your tax statement as “CNTY.”

LAW ENFORCEMENT

The Sheriff Department’s budget is the largest departmental budget in our General Revenue Fund. It makes up approximately 25 percent of the County’s total budget. The sheriff and his staff continue to aggressively obtain and house federal prisoners.

MoDOT ROAD AND BRIDGE PROJECTS:

• In 2011, MoDOT completed its Safe and Sound Bridge Program in Lafayette County with the construction of 13 bridges.

• Additionally, MoDOT completed several minor road and programmed construction projects.

• In 2012, MoDOT has scheduled the installation of the ramp from 224 Highway to 13 Highway South, Lexington, in addition to some minor road resurfacing projects.

• MoDOT’s investment in Lafayette County in 2011 totaled $25.2 million.

Respectfully submitted,

Harold C. Hoflander

Budget Officer