Photo courtesy of Jacqueline Alkula

Sunday marks the one-year anniversary of the blaze that took down the Leeper Hotel in Chillicothe.  Click to hear KMZU’s Sarah Scott speak with Fire Chief Darrell Wright:

Crews continue to battle blaze.

Darrell Wright

The historic downtown hotel was being torn down when the flames ignited.  Wright said construction workers were present when the building caught fire.  “They tried to put it out initially, and then called the fire department,” said Wright.

The cause was later determined to be due to a leaking propane bottle in the basement.

Mayor Chuck Haney said the remains of the structure have been torn down and the walls adjacent to other structures have been repaired.  Click to hear KMZU’s Sarah Scott speak with Haney:

Chuck Haney

The property has also been seeded and grassed.  “The City Council has discussed it.  We probably, at this point in time, I think are going to put it up for sale and see what we can get in the of any possible buyers,” said Haney.

Haney said Council does not want to add any more parks or parking lots to the down town, and will take their time making a final decision.