TRUESDALE, Iowa (AP) — Fire officials suspect a large neon sign started a fire that damaged a motel in northwest Iowa.

The fire at the Crossroads Motel near Truesdale was reported just before 11 a.m. on Tuesday. KTIV-TV in Sioux City says the fire swept through the motel, but no one was injured.

Motel employee Anne Greiner says a passer-by stopped at the motel and reported the back of the building was on fire.

Investigators believe the fire started with an electrical malfunction in a neon sign on the back of the motel. Damage is estimated at $200,000.

Truesdale is just north of Storm Lake.

___

Information from: KTIV-TV, http://www.ktiv.com

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.