NEWSMAKER: 5/22/20 – Boater safety will be paramount this weekend as Missouri residents celebrate Memorial Day. Sergeant, Andy Bell, says law enforcement is anticipating large crowds, despite the pandemic.
Bell says boaters should be aware of some safety tips:
- Life jackets should be worn at all times in the vessel, but state law only requires children under age 7 must have the jacket on while the vessel is moving. Life jackets should be readily accessible for those who choose not to wear it.
- Vessels that have an engine hatch, should be fueled with the help of a bilge blower to ventilate fumes to prevent explosions.
- Keep a safe distance from other boaters
- Adjust speed to conform to conditions
- Be mindful when creating ‘wake’
- Turn off prop while passengers are in the water
- Be sure starboard, port, and stern lights are operating after hours
- Alcohol and driving does not mix