Overheated hay could be to blame for a fire that destroyed a barn and heavy farm equipment in Chariton County. Click to hear KMZU’s Sarah Scott speak with Salisbury Fire Chief Jamie Cruse:

Jamie Cruse

The blaze broke out around 9 a.m. Monday near Salisbury.  Firefighters said bales of hay stored in the barn spontaneously ignited.  No injuries were reported.  The structure was determined to be a total loss with damage estimated at $75,000.  The barn was believed to have contained about 100 bales of hay, a tractor, baler and truck.