According to a spokesperson with Walmart, the gas leak occurred during maintenance work at the store. Customers and employees were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
The Richmond Fire Department confirmed the gas line was cut during maintenance work on the roof of the store. Fire officials responded and shut the gas off entirely until repair workers were able to come in and fix the pipe.
The store was closed for approximately 20 minutes before being given the “all clear” to allow people back in. No customers or employees were effected by the incident.