The City of Chillicothe will not be receiving assistance from the state in their quest to demolish unsightly homes. Click to hear KMZU’s Chelsea Wade talk with Mayor Chuck Haney:
Press Release from the City of Chillicothe
The City of Chillicothe learned last Friday that it had been turned down in its application for a residential demolition grant in the amount of $125,000.
“It is with great disappointment that I received notice that our city was denied its most recent application for a demolition grant,” said Mayor Chuck Haney in an announcement made to the members of the city council at its Monday night meeting.
The letter that Mayor Haney received from the Department of Economic Development noted that Chillicothe did not achieve a sufficient score to warrant recommendation of funding. “There were some things we were notified on the day that we took the tour this past summer, but never knew about them until the day of the tour,” said mayor Haney. “It is very difficult to correct something that may be wrong if you don’t know what it is.”
Tammi Venneman, assistant code enforcement officer, said the city lost points on the score sheet on things they were never made aware of.
The city had compiled a list of more than 60 homes that were on the demo list and also had a top 10 list that needed immediate attention. The city could look at doing their own grant application if they decide to again apply for a third time.
Chillicothe is already moving forward for the demolition of some homes as well as seeking support from residential owners in turning their property over to the city and the city would do the demolition after taking ownership of the private property.
It is the intent of this mayor and council that we continue to work hard to clean up our city and to set aside our own funding for such work, said Haney.