Brian Adkison

Brian Adkison

UPDATE: 08/03/17 7:00 p.m.– A scheduled four day trial for Hamilton resident, Brian Adkison, ended yesterday with a verdict of not-guilty, after three days of hearing evidence. 

The trial began Tuesday, August 1, and was scheduled through August 4, according to court records.

Charges against Adkison included kidnapping and domestic assault of an ex-girlfriend, Lauren Crawford.

One person who was present at the proceedings, Dee Adkison, the mother of Brian Adkison, confirmed today the conclusion of the trial.  A person close to the defense counsel for Adkison, speaking on condition of anonymity, also confirmed the not-guilty verdict by the jury.

Livingston County Court system has not responded to inquiries by KMZU. 

The case previously ended in two mistrials after the primary witness admitted to having problems remembering the incident.




UPDATE: 3:10 p.m. After three days and 0ver nine hours of jury deliberation, the case against Brian Adkison has resulted in a mistrial. Around 2 p.m. this afternoon, the Livingston County jury announced they were deadlocked and Judge Tom Chapman declared a mistrial.

Alleged victim Lauren Crawford was in tears as Brian Adkison walked out in chains smiling to his family.

Adkison is due back in court on August 10th, 2015 at 9 a.m. in Livingston County.

During yesterdays court proceedings the State called 13 witnesses to the stand.Witnesses ranged from police officers that were involved in all the events in the summer of 2013, to the doctor that was present at the University of Missouri Hospital on the night Lauren Crawford came in for treatments following the alleged events with Mr. Adkison.

According to Crawford, Adkison forced her into a white Chevy truck around 11:15 a.m. on June 15th, 2013 on a gravel road near her home. She claims she tried to escape but couldn’t get out of any of the doors. Allegedly, she attempted to stab him with scissors, and succeeded with a screw driver. DNA on the top right shoulder of a T-shirt found in the truck, matching Adkisons DNA, corroborates Crawford’s recollection of stabbing him. She claims she feared for her life and sat up on the window of the truck. She said she doesn’t remember if she fell or jumped out of the moving vehicle. She obtained injuries from this and says Adkison put her back in the truck and refused to take her to the hospital.

After this, they traveled to Brian’s family lake home at the Lake of the Ozarks. Allegedly they stayed there for most of the day until he took her to Columbia to the hospital after making many stops.

The defense pointed out that she did not try to get help when they passed vehicles on I-70 or stopped at stop lights in towns. Crawford also admitted that she didn’t ask for help when they went through a Taco Bell drive through in Columbia.

When the University of Missouri Hospital doctor testified, he claimed that Lauren could have had problems with her memory from the accident due to injuries obtained when she exited the vehicle.

There was an interesting twist when a detective with the Blue Springs, Missouri police department was on the stand. The State spent a lot of time attempting to prove that Brian Adkison was involved in a pursuit in Blue Springs on June 16th. Allegedly Brian showed up to sell a pair of stolen UTV’s to a Craigslist acquaintance. The owner of the UTV’s believed they were stolen on June 15th between 6:30 and 8:30.

This is the same time that Crawford claimed her and Adkison were at the Lake of the Ozarks. The detective stated that it could be possible he wrote the wrong date in his report. When the defense asked at what point he decided this could be a possibility, the detective replied when the Prosecuting Attorney pointed out it could have happened.

The Defense called only one witness to the stand. This witness was only 16 years old at the time of the incident, but recalls seeing Brian Adkison and Lauren Crawford in Hamilton on the day of the alleged kidnapping. He claims that Lauren was smiling and laughing when he saw her and Mr. Adkison together. When cross examined, Crawford’s attorney asked if she could have been wincing in pain. The witnesses responded with an I guess so, sort of statement.

Thursday ended with closing arguments from both parties, and deliberation among the jury. After four hours, it was decided to postpone deliberation until the following morning.

UPDATE: 3:15 p.m.- KMZU’s Kim Nuelle reported today to be another day of multiple witnesses and cross examinations. Adkison himself made a statement in the court room advising the judge that he wanted to testify, however his attorney had advised against it.

Nuelle will bring you more court room updates as the trial continues.

A man who made headlines in May 2013 is again at the center of a court case after two prior mistrials. Brian Adkison, 26, has been in and out of court rooms since a Hamilton, MO woman alleged he had kidnapped and hurt her.

Adkison is facing charges of 2nd degree domestic assault as well as kidnapping: facilitating a felony, terrorizing victim, and/or inflicting injury.

During opening day statements, the prosecution and defense attorneys bounced off of each other in hopes of stating their case before witness examination.

The first witness called to the stand, Glen Kaiser, was asked about a white Chevy Duramax. The same vehicle Adkison allegedly stole and forced his victim into before leaving Hamilton and driving her to the Lake of the Ozarks. The next three witnesses; Tracy Hewallat a Manager from the Conoco gas station in Hamilton and acquaintance to Adkison, Kimberly Grebner, and Darren H., Adkison’s cousin, were all questioned to verify the prosecutions allegations, putting Adkison behind the wheel of the stolen truck.

The last witness called during the beginning day of trial was alleged victim, Lauren Crawford. Prosecution asked Crawford to recall the day of the alleged incident. Crawford spoke about the hours prior to the alleged kidnapping including studying and the jog that was interrupted by Mr. Adkison.

During cross-examination from the defense, Crawford was unable to recall many of the details from the day of the incident. She also acknowledged her failure to seek help from passing cars and people when she was presented the opportunity. The defense also questioned Crawford about a pregnancy, asking if she had ever told Adkison she was pregnant. Crawford said if she had ever said it, it was a lie.

Adkison will appear again in court Thursday for trial. KMZU’s Kim Nuelle will be present to report details as they become available.