WARSAW, Mo. – Stretching short hay supplies and the necessity of using alternative feeds and feeding programs will become more important for beef cattle producers in the upcoming fall and winter months. A series of meetings have been scheduled for mid-October through mid-November throughout central Missouri to discuss winter feeding options for beef cattle. Since the 2018 drought has negatively impacted pastures and hay fields, spring pasture management updates will also be presented. Meeting locations, dates, times, and local contact information is listed below.
* Eldon High School ag room; Monday, October 15 at 6:30 p.m.; Miller County Extension office (573) 369-2394.
* Warsaw Ambulance District meeting room; Thursday, October 18 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Benton County Extension office (660) 438-5012.
* Hickory County Extension office; Monday, October 29 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Hickory County Extension office (417) 745-6767.
* Cooper County Extension office; Tuesday, October 30 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Cooper County Extension office (660) 882-5661.
* Pettis County Extension office; Thursday, November 8 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.; Pettis County Extension office (660) 827-0591.
* Morgan County Extension office; Monday, November 12 at 2 p.m.; Morgan County Extension office at (573) 378-5358
* California City Hall meeting room; Monday, November 12 at 7 p.m.; Morgan County Extension office at (573) 378-5358.
MU Extension field specialists Gene Schmitz, Travis Harper, Todd Lorenz, Terry Halleran, Joni Harper or Tricia Barrett will be presenting at the various locations. Where listed, the same program will be repeated in the afternoon and evening.
Please call the local MU Extension office listed above to register for the location and time you will attend. There is no cost for this program, but we do need to have an estimate of attendance for handouts, etc. There will be additional advertising as the time gets closer, but I wanted you to have these meetings on your radar.
If you have additional questions about these events or questions about feeding livestock this winter, please contact me by e-mail at [email protected] or call the Benton County Extension Center at (660) 438-5012.
Contributed by: Gene Schmitz, Livestock Specialist, University of Missouri Extension, (660) 438-5012, [email protected]